Monday, October 26, 2009

Joplin, Hendrix, Steph, and I

So where to start? Maybe with my motivations:

I have been a pet owner for about a year and a half now, so I'm pretty new at the whole game and I've found along the way that sometimes it is very difficult to get the information that your looking for. People tend to be vague and unsure which doesn't help at all. So I've decided to pass along my findings and hopefully get even more information for others

The Cats:

Joplin:

I adopted her from the Ottawa Humane Society in August 2008. She is now almost 5 years old (Birthday- Nov 4th), and surprisingly small at only ~5lbs for an adult cat. She a domestic short hair with tortoise shell pattern, her colors are gray orange and white.
She is an extremely loving cat who like attention at almost all times. She was a shock for me because I was always under the illusion that cats were slightly anti-social, but Joplin totally erased that for me. She slept with me every night, greeted me at the door and sat beside me while I worked at my desk. At the time I was living with 2 roommates who were just in much in love with Joplin as I was.

Her only oddity was that she would meow for no reason at all. We thought at first it was because she was hungry, which turned out to be wrong. To this day were not sure why she does it, maybe as a way to mark her territory.

Hendrix:

Stephane adopted him early this September from a rescue mission in Smith Falls which uses our favorite pet store Pet Circus for adoptions . He is just over 5 months old (Birthday- May 14th). He is a black and white domestic short hair, who also happens to be poly dactyl!
He is also just as loving as Joplin and will often sleep right between Steph and I. He has a massive store of energy and will often run from one end of the apartment to the other back and forth many many times. Because he has an extra "finger" on each paw he is able to climb door ways and apparently will also be able to open the fridge, cupboards etc... which I'm sure will be super fun.

The Boyfriend:

Stephane (or Steph) and I have been together 2 years. He is a wonderful and supportive person and as much as he may not like to admit it, he is just as enamoured with the cats as I am.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Hendrix is just a couple days older then our baby Barney! That is so cool - they could be buddies! And meowing for no reason - they all do it, so don't be too concerned. In our house we have 5 cats and I would say 80% of them meow for no reason - Lola, our only girl, is the only one that doesn't and honestly I think it is too much effort for her. Some do it more than others and some will do it when they see the invisible "aliens" on the walls - they love to make you think they see something when there is nothing there - I am convinced they do it just to mess with us. Anyway, good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to email me - I have had cats pretty much my entire life - there were a couple years between but I honestly can't imagine life if there isn't at least one cat around.

    Also, since you are new, you may want to head to the cat blogosphere and introduce yourself - you will get a bunch of readers there (and I am going to do a post too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barney is so cute!

    I'm glad to hear that its not just Joplin doing that meowing. She's actually stopped now that we have Hendrix, which is awesome!

    You will most likely hear from me in the future with many the cat question, I always appreciate help from others.

    And thanks for the tip on the blogosphere ill do that tomorrow :D

    ReplyDelete

Background taken from:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/images/fabric/Greenwich%20Burlap.jpg