What we did:
- Got Hendrix in the door and instantly let him run around everywhere.
- Made separate litter and food areas but did not separate living areas
- Allowed Hendrix to start taking over the entire house, Joplin's only area was the bathroom basket
Hendrix on the other hand chased Joplin all the time and was quickly realizing how easy it was to be the alpha-cat
Of course this had to change and so I turned to MC for help. She explained that putting in the effort at first will really pay off in the end. At this point it had only been 3 days since we brought Hendrix home.
How we fixed it:
- We separated the cats. Wow was this a hassle! I should mention that the only door in the apartment is the bathroom door. So we had to fashion one out of a mirror and miscellaneous musical instruments
- Kept them separate for a full 2 days
- On day 3 let Hendrix out for a run for 30 min in the apartment, did this twice a day for 3 days
- On day 6 let him out for the whole day while we were home so that we could watch but kept him in the bedroom at night, did this for 2 days
- On day 8 let him out the whole day alone with Joplin, stayed out that night as well